Gateron optical switches are a popular choice among mechanical keyboard enthusiasts due to their smooth, crisp actuation and low price point. But with so many options to choose from, it can be difficult to determine which Gateron optical switch is the best for your needs. In this article, we’ll take a deep dive into the various Gateron optical switch options and provide some recommendations for the best ones to use for different purposes.
Before we get started, it’s important to understand what makes Gateron optical switches unique. Unlike traditional mechanical switches, which use physical contact to register keystrokes, Gateron optical switches use infrared light beams to register actuation. This allows for a number of benefits, including faster actuation speed, longer lifespan, and more durability.
Now, let’s take a look at the different Gateron optical switch options available:
- Gateron Red Optical Switches: Gateron Red optical switches are linear switches, meaning they don’t have any bump or tactile feedback. They have a medium weight, with an actuation force of 50 grams. These switches are smooth and quiet, making them a great choice for gaming or typing.
- Gateron Yellow Optical Switches: Gateron Yellow optical switches are also linear switches, but they have a slightly lighter actuation force of 45 grams. This makes them even faster and more suitable for gaming.
- Gateron Black Optical Switches: Gateron Black optical switches are linear switches with a slightly heavier actuation force of 60 grams. This gives them a slightly more pronounced actuation, making them a good choice for those who prefer a bit more resistance when typing or gaming.
- Gateron Blue Optical Switches: Gateron Blue optical switches are tactile switches, meaning they have a bump or tactile feedback when actuated. They have a medium weight, with an actuation force of 50 grams. These switches are great for typing, as the tactile feedback helps you know when a keystroke has been registered.
- Gateron Brown Optical Switches: Gateron Brown optical switches are also tactile switches, but they have a slightly lighter actuation force of 45 grams. This makes them a bit faster and more suitable for gaming, while still providing the tactile feedback that many typists prefer.
- Gateron Green Optical Switches: Gateron Green optical switches are heavier tactile switches, with an actuation force of 80 grams. They have a more pronounced bump and a longer actuation distance, making them a good choice for those who want a more defined tactile experience.
So, which Gateron optical switch is the best? It really depends on your personal preferences and intended use. If you’re a gamer looking for a fast, smooth switch, the Gateron Red or Yellow optical switches might be the best choice for you. If you prefer a bit more resistance when typing, the Gateron Black or Blue optical switches could be a good fit. And if you want a more pronounced tactile experience, the Gateron Brown or Green optical switches might be worth considering.
It’s also worth noting that Gateron optical switches are compatible with a wide range of keycaps, so you can customize the look and feel of your keyboard to your heart’s content.
In conclusion, Gateron optical switches offer a smooth, fast, and durable alternative to traditional mechanical switches, with a range of options to suit different preferences and uses. Whether you’re a gamer, a typist, or just someone who enjoys the feel of a mechanical keyboard, Gateron optical switches are worth considering.